Yellow fabric in late bustle era

Have an idea but you just need someone else to agree (or disagree) be fore you go ahead as planned? Here is the place for feedback.
Pamlin
Costume Afflicted

Yellow fabric in late bustle era

Postby Pamlin » Wed May 11, 2011 11:51 am

Hi everyone!
I've been trying to find some information on shades of yellow used in the Victorian era, particularly in the 1880's, but haven't been able to find anything. I keep having visions of a cheery yellow walking suit with point d'esprit overlay and pale green grosgrain trim, but can't find anything on what shades would be appropriate.

Thoughts? Suggestions? Hysterical laughter at my lemon merengue/dandilion gown?
Pamlin
AnotherBlackSheep
Window Shopper

Re: Yellow fabric in late bustle era

Postby AnotherBlackSheep » Wed May 11, 2011 3:29 pm

I really can't be of any help, but I really like the idea! (I've also got a stash of orange dupioni that I know isn't period but i'm thinking of sporting it as an under skirt) Do you have any pictures of the shade of the fabric?
Heather
Site Admin

Postby Heather » Wed May 11, 2011 5:25 pm

I was looking through one of my etiquette books (1882) on a different subject when I ran across a chapter about colors in dress. I was hoping to OCR it in the quotes section, but it is quite a long segment. There is included a long list of colors with the other colors that go with them. Here is what is listed under yellow:

Yellow and Chestnut (or chocolate) harmonize
yellow and brown harmonize
yellow and red harmonize
yellow and crimson harmonize
yellow and white, a poor harmony
yellow and black harmonize
yellow, purple, and crimson harmonize
yellow, purple, scarlet, and blue harmonize
yellow and purple, and agreeable harmony
yellow and blue harmonize, but cold
yellow and violet harmonize
yellow and lilac, a weak harmony.

Of course, under the green section it lists:
Green and yellow harmonize

There is are separate listings for Gold and one reference to maize.
SarahS
Inquiring Mind

Postby SarahS » Wed May 11, 2011 8:38 pm

Certainly the Victorian artists depicted yellow in all varieties from pastel to bright, striped with various colors to fairly golden or orangish yellow. Dresses in all or part of these colors seem to have been popular during all the Victorian time. At least with the middle and upper classes, can't seem to remember much of the lower classes in yellow maybe because it showed the dirt too easily? Of course there are more paintings of middle and up classes. There is always the possibility that yellow paint was cheap :wink: .

This was said in 1870:

YELLOW (Furze-blossom, Buttercups], Pure yellow is not much used for dress, orange on the one side, straw or amber on the other, being much richer, arid more agreeable to the eye. It harmonizes best with its complementary, purple. Black is also of great value as a trimming, and may be used freely. Amber, Straw, Primrose, and Canary, are feebler in effect than orange. These shades are rendered still weaker by contact with any strong color or tone. Of these, however, purple is the best. Black looks well in lace only. Trimmings of a faint crimson or cerise have a pretty and cheerful effect, but require a little dash in the wearer. White may be used as lace, but with care, and will call for the addition of small points of stronger color.

Unlike Heather's book no mention is made of yellow in the green section.
Pamlin
Costume Afflicted

Postby Pamlin » Thu May 12, 2011 12:21 pm

Cool! Thanks so much! Now all I need to do is find the fabric (and get about six other projects off my worktable!)
Pamlin
MaryGode
Inquiring Mind

Postby MaryGode » Thu May 12, 2011 7:11 pm

yellow, purple, scarlet, and blue harmonize

Oh, my eyes!!! :eep:

That said, the little part of my brain where Tim Gunn lives now wants to try it.
Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society. ~MarkTwain

Return to “What do y'all think?”