Spoon Busk?

everything you ever wanted to know about corsets can hopefully be answered here
hdbradley
Window Shopper

Spoon Busk?

Postby hdbradley » Tue Dec 28, 2010 7:35 am

I finally have worked up the courage to attempt a corset from Corsets & crinolines. After enlarging and altering and a preliminary fitting, I'm ready to order the hardware. However, I cannot find a spoon busk for until 40$ and that is a wee-bit more than I was hoping to spend on my first run with this pattern.

So my question - Can I use a straight busk in it's place? I have never worked with spoon busks, nor even seen one in person. I understand they have a shape at the bottom, so I'm assuming I'll have to alter the front seams from the waist to bottom edge. Is this correct? Or should I just go ahead and get the spoon busk? Are they really worth the extra cost?

Any advice is greatly appreciated!
hdbradley
Window Shopper

Re: Spoon Busk?

Postby hdbradley » Tue Dec 28, 2010 7:45 am

If it's needed, the corset I'm working on is c. 1880s, with cording on the top of the front and side front pieces. (I don't have the book with me, so I can't reference page numbers). And my measurements are 36" bust, 24" corseted waist (28" natural), 34" high hip.
Heather
Site Admin

Postby Heather » Tue Dec 28, 2010 9:10 am

I played with spoon busks in my corsets several years ago. I finally decided that the drawbacks to the spoon outweighed the advantages.

The advantage is that the corset curves back in at the bottom. This is great when you have a belly to get over, as it tucks the point back in. However, since your skirts will pretty much hide whatever is going on below the waist, it isn't that big an improvement.

The disadvantages are more numerous. First, they come in very limited lengths. I personally need a 14" busk, and the longest is 13". There are work-arounds with hooks and eyes, but the trick of adding a longer bone behind the bust to add length doesn't work as well because of the odd shape of the busk. Second, the spoon busk is much stiffer than a regular busk. For me, this made the corset harder to take on and off, and kept the corset from following my curves. Which is odd, since you get a spoon busk to have curves. Third, the added expense. Although with busks, you can cannibalize them from old corset to new corset, so the expense can be mitigated over time.

You can use a regular busk in pretty much any corset, you don't need the spoon unless you want one. If you have made other corsets before, then adding the spoon busk can be a fun experiment. And they look great if you are planning to make a showpiece corset. Either way, you will be fine with your project.
hdbradley
Window Shopper

Postby hdbradley » Wed Dec 29, 2010 9:01 am

Thanks, that's exactly the reply I was hoping for! I have made a few corsets before, but this is the first pattern I've ever taken from a book. So i think I'll be using a straight busk for this one. And if it turns out as lovely as I hope it will, then maybe I'll try a spoon busk for the next. Thanks again!

Return to “Corsets”